Tuesday 15 June 2010

ImagineFX Frazetta Tribute Cover

Just checked my mail and found the latest issue of ImagineFX. I knew it was supposed to be a Manga special this month, but that was about it. So when I opened it I was surprised to see this:
I was already in a pretty bad place after hearing about Al Williamson passing away yesterday, so this hit me right in the heart.

It's the subscriber-only cover, so they can get away with bold design like this (the cover is matte black with spot varnish for the drawing and the FX part of the logo if it isn't clear on the screen), but this sort of grace note really shows the IFX crew to be a class act.

2 comments:

Claire Howlett said...

Hey Richard, thanks for your comments about the subscriber cover. We wanted to pay a solemn tribute to the great man, so are happy that you liked our sentiment.
Claire, editor ImagineFX

Unknown said...

I always thought guys ran a classy operation, but this cover really got me.

The first few pages about Fritz were grand, too.

I do hope you're able to find some room to acknowledge Al Williamson's passing in an upcoming issue. I know he inspired a host of professional comics artists over the years, including myself.