Sunday 2 August 2009

New Painting Project

I think I posted this some time ago, but I've decided to take the next two days to paint the thing:
I've always intended to turn it into a painting, but wrapping my head around the colour, lighting and values in this piece was too much to plan out with all the other things on my plate. The family is away for the next couple of days, so I think I'll take a stab at it.
I actually drew this in Photoshop in five transparent layers. When I was reasonably happy with the drawing I compressed things down to the foreground, mid and background.
I'll be dropping in values on subsequent layers matching up with these three. The plan is to craft a simplified grey underpainting. The tricky part here is that the ugly monster things are yellow energy constructs -- something that's quite easily dealt with in traditional comics ink drawing, but will present some interesting challenges as a painter. Dealing with Karu-Sil's odd alien skin tone while suffused with golden light will also be something to think about.
I'll update tomorrow. . . .

No comments: