Thursday 12 February 2009

Throw that Speedball by ya. . . .

Wow -- another one from the vault. This was the intended cover for New Warriors #54. Fabian intended to tell a story revealing how Speedball was practically the most powerful character in the Marvel universe. I was looking forward to it, but Fabian decided it was time to wrap his run on NW and this story was replaced by two fill-ins by a Marvel editor who had long lobbied to take over the book. His first story, which I really feel was trivializing a then current event in Africa and how certain I was that I was, at best, a poor fit for the direction of the book. Once the writer was given the ongoing gig, that was my cue to leave.


I actually remembered this being better than it is -- possibly because the office's feedback was so positive. I really made a mess of the anatomy and terribly over-rendered the figure. I still like the idea and composition, but that's about it.
I'm tempted to redo it as Penance, Speedball's current incarnation. . . .

No comments: