Thursday 11 September 2008

September -- Back to School

Well, not back to school for me. I miss teaching, but not dealing with the passive-aggressive ownership at Max the Mutt Animation. It was pretty hard trying to direct a program when I wasn't allowed program oversight to ensure the students were getting what they needed and the school president hates the vast majority of the comics market output. To be honest, she's essentially a cultural bigot, holding most of contemporary culture in contempt.
As you can see, I feel that enough distance has passed between my quitting the school that I feel comfortable talking more openly about the problems, stupidity and unethical behaviour I saw there. Reports from this year show things really aren't getting better.

Anyway -- you have any questions about my experiences there or what the school's really like, feel free to ask. No worries -- I'll respect requests for anonymity.

Onward!

DR SKETCHY was this past Monday.

I had a great, relaxed time drawing. The model was great fun and her costumes outrageous. I was happiest with the small one-minute gestures that night:

I've completed all my Marvel Masterpiece 3 sketch cards and Artist Proof cards, just awaiting Marvel's approval to share them. I should be able to talk about my DC projects shortly, too.
I think it's well past time I updated my comics art program curriculum project -- I'll upload year one, semester one tomorrow.
~Richard

10 comments:

f gordon said...

I was thinkin about going to a school for comic books in Canada. When I googled it, I found Max the Mutt. I saw some of the teachers names on the site and saw yours. After finding your name on the web, I found this site. However I was surprised to see you don't work there anymore and also you don't like the school.

I have never had art school training, so I don't know if what you are saying is likethat at all schools or only Max the Mutt. So why is it so bad?

You said" As you can see, I feel that enough distance has passed between my quitting the school that I feel comfortable talking more openly about the problems, stupidity and unethical behaviour I saw there. Reports from this year show things really aren't getting better"

Could you tell me what will happen to someone like me, with know experience with schools teaching comic books and art. I only have high school art and I draw alot on my own. Sorry for the wordy comment,

thanks,
F. Gordon

Unknown said...

Hi,

I've already received a number of questions both more specific and even broader in scope than yours. If you don't mind waiting a bit I'd like to wait a week or so and try to answer a bunch of them in one go so I do as little overlap as possible.

Anonymous said...

Um,
If you're that pissed at the school why are you still listed on the faculty page?

Anonymous said...

I'd like to think that's actually more of a problem with maxthemutt people not getting around to updating their website, which they mentioned before that they haven't had a chance to get to yet.

Instead of thinking it might possible be they want it to look like they have lots of comic book pros~.

Anonymous said...

I'm not actually interested in attending that school, but I was out drawing at the eaton center last school year and I heard some students from there complaining about vomit buckets being evrywhere in the school.

Was that for real?

Nanci

Anonymous said...

Okay, if someone were to decide to attend the school despite of all the stuff, would you still get a good enough foundation for a career as a comic book artist?

Um. I'm not a student there, but it's really all that seems available in Ontario and I really want to draw comics.

TwistedBroom said...

I actually attend there...I'm in one of the diploma(s) studying part time.

As a student who pays for their own tuition I found from my perspective is that they seem to be 'happy' to take your money but take no time to respond back to you if you have any requests or questions about particular courses.

I found depending on who you might end up with varies in response rate; professionalism; belittlism and; egotism.

As for the value of courses you could end up with a hit or miss situation like my experience...

I've actually heard about you Mr. Pace and teachers have said positive things about you. Sad to hear that you had that experience.

TwistedBroom said...

I've read your suggestions about what each semester should look like esp. the natural way to draw analysis.

Have you ever given a thought of teaching people privately? In which case, I'd like to sign up!

TwistedBroom said...

I've read your suggestions about what each semester should look like esp. the natural way to draw analysis.

Have you ever given a thought of teaching people privately? In which case, I'd like to sign up!

TwistedBroom said...

I've read thru your semesters outline and your analysis of the 'natural way to draw'.

Have you ever thought of teaching privately...if so...sign me up seriously!