Tuesday, 27 September 2011

Bettie Page Artist Proof 3


The third of the over-sized artist proof cards (4.5x6.25") from the Bettie Page set by Versicolor.

A little while back I noticed that Copic markers acted like a sort of fixative over the pencil drawings for the sketch cards I drew, so I experimented a bit and found I could do some light tonal work in graphite and it would stay largely intact under an initial application of marker colour (usually a C1 grey, but I used a purple to keep the details and a sense of light in the lingerie)). It gives the pieces a retro "colorized" look, which I think really works for these Bettie Page cards.

You have to be careful not to leave too much graphite on the surface as it will smudge and dirty the marker, so I only do it lightly with the idea the darker values will have to be delivered with darker markers.

To build on the retro feel I added a graphic touch with some outlines in Prismacolor and Derwent coloured pencils. The black work was done with Copic and liquid ink pen.

No comments: